Larry consults with the person responsible for bringing him in to create a workshop that addresses the specific needs of that site. The following are some suggested workshops that may be helpful as a starting point for that discussion.
The Power of a Teacher Through High Expectations
Many teachers do not believe they can reach and positively impact the achievement of every student. This workshop provides strategies and data to remind teachers that high expectations transcend all barriers. They transcend race, gender, economics, etc. Every teacher can reach every child and this workshop provides strategies teachers can implement the next day. The presenter models each strategy so there can be no question about how to execute what is being presented. Using a high-energy, engaging format that involves the audience, the presenter holds everyone’s attention the way teachers need to hold every student’s attention. Topics included in this presentation:
- Research that shows the tremendous impact of teacher expectations.
- Strategies that create a classroom culture of high expectations.
- Five elements of an inspiring lesson plan.
- Academic strategies to reach African American and Latino youth.
- Strategies to build relationships across cultures.
- How to develop trust and respect with other cultures.
Effective Classroom Strategies for Struggling Learners
Struggling learners need unique strategies that help them connect with the material in an engaging and inspiring manner. These learners have to be totally immersed in strategies that fill in their academic “gaps”. Strategies that reach struggling learners must be used in a systematic manner to help overcome the weaknesses these students have lived with for many years. This workshop provides the strategies necessary to help teachers meet the challenging needs of these learners. Using these strategies, teachers across the country have been able to help many struggling learners become excellent academic students. Topics included in this presentation:
- Ten characteristics of struggling learners and how to address their needs.
- Five essential steps to reach a struggling learner.
- Strategies to engage unmotivated students.
- Strategies to improve test scores of underachieving students.
- Positive classroom management techniques.
- Seven fundamentals that help struggling learners navigate an academic environment.
Closing the Achievement Gap– Every Teacher Can!
The data shows that there are many schools and districts that are low income and minority that are very high achieving. Over the last 20 years, this workshop has been responsible for hundreds of those schools coming into existence. It is not about the money in the home, the parents or the cultural background of the students. It is about the paradigm of the teacher and the strategies used to reach the students. This workshop provides the tools to help every child achieve. Topics included in this presentation:
- 12 Powerful Words that trip up “at risk” students on standardized assessments.
- UNRA(A)VEL Reading Strategy for low achieving students.
- Math UNRA(A)VEL Strategy for comprehending word math problems.
- 10 basic teaching strategies found in “model” schools that have led to the success of low-achieving students.
- A systematic approach to reach low-achieving students.
- Five inadvertent actions that alienate students of color from their teachers.
Bringing Joy Back to Teaching
If you have teachers that are discouraged, burnt out or ready to give up, this is the workshop you need. Over-emphasis placed on state testing and new initiatives is causing an abundance of stress in many teachers. This uplifting, fun workshop brings inspiration with the information and will truly re-energize your teachers. Topics included in this presentation:
- Strategies that help teachers remember why they became a teacher in the first place.
- Five powerful reasons every student needs a good teacher in his or her life.
- How to create an energized classroom.
- Strategies to stay motivated during challenging times.
- Ways a teacher can model how much they care, so students feel more connected.
- The five elements of an inspiring lesson plan.
Creating a School Environment That Helps Increase School Safety
This is a very important issue facing our nation. Teachers need strategies to help build relationships so that all students feel welcome and respected in the building. When all students feel connected to the school there is less likelihood that students will feel alienated or the need to act out. This type of training is so needed that, according to an National Public Radio (NPR) report many trainings were held during the summer months of 2018 for school resource officers on relationship training. It is absolutely critical that teachers too are given strategies to build relationships with students. Topics included in this presentation:
- Strategies to create a positive, warm and welcoming school community.
- Strategies to create a positive, warm and welcoming classroom.
- Identifying and eliminating potential “flashpoints” in a school where students are often bullied or feel unwelcome.
- Identifying and eliminating potential “flashpoints” in a classroom.
- Addressing the critical fact that many teachers no longer feel they have the time or support to build relationships with students.
- Involving all stakeholders in addressing this topic.
What do teachers and administrators think of Larry’s workshops?
"Please know that the money Rankin County spent having Larry Bell present and visit our schools has been the best thing that has happen to me as a teacher. No other program, workshop, speaker, or webcast has helped me reach my students and get them to believe in themselves like Larry Bell has."
Teacher, Rankin County Schools, MS
"Thanks so much. This session was one of the BEST that I have ever attended in my 38 years as an educator. Very Informative- Motivating- Relevant-Thought Provoking and Enjoyable."
Principal, Norcross ES, Norcross, GA
Vicki Booker and Chris Wolfe
Principal and Assistant Principal
Granite Quarry Elementary School, Granite Quarry, NC
Principal Booker and Assistant Principal Wolfe discuss the achievements their school has made since implementing Larry Bell’s strategies. They also discuss how they put the strategies into practice. Larry did an on site presentation for this school.
Testing Coordinator, Instructional Supervisor, Special Education Director
Bradford Special School District, Bradford, TN
Amy Dunn speaks about gains made district wide after incorporating Larry Bell’s strategies. Members of this district came to Larry’s seminar and Larry also did on-site presentations for this district.
Sixth Grade Teacher
McLaurin Elementary School, Florence, MS
Jacob Veenstra discusses the QDI gains made after using Larry Bell’s strategies for only five months. McLaurin went from a level D school to a level B school. He also discusses strategies the school used to make these gains. Larry did an on-site presentation for this school.